16 February 2011

Snip snip

     This promises to be the quilt that almost wasn't.  So much un-sewing going on at the kitchen table.  I'm working on binding the Bliss quilt, and apparently I'm no good at following directions.  Also, found out you shouldn't switch machines in the middle of a project, especially one you haven't used before.  I decided to use the Singer 301 to sew the binding to the quilt.  Cursing and seam ripping ensued.


     After making peace with the fact that the binding will be slightly wonky because I haven't mastered driving the 301, I made a mistake late last night while trying to join the binding.  Measure twice, cut once means nothing if you don't cut where you're supposed to cut.  Enter seam ripper and new binding strip -luckily this is a scrappy binding, so it wasn't too too painful.  A couple of sew-unsew episodes later (it's hard to sew binding strips together with one strip attached to the quilt), and I'm all set to join the binding.  Here's hoping it comes out right this time!
     On a positive note, the mitered corners are coming out wonderfully.


     After the binding is joined and the quilt sandwich trimmed, I'll move on to folding over and hand-sewing the binding to the back of the quilt.  This should be interesting- we'll see how well I listened in class last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear your thoughts!