Pages

14 May 2014

In the works

The Bay Area is in the midst of a late spring heat wave.  It's 93˚ as we speak.  My poor tomato plants have wilted, causing an emergency run to the nursery for row cover.  Thankfully, the house stays pretty cool, thanks to many mature trees in the yard providing shade.  Luckily, the forecast shows temperatures cooling off by the end of the week.

My do. Good Stitches quilt has sat basted and ready for quilting since Friday.  The thought of handling a quilt in this heat is unbearable, so I've kept myself busy working on quilt blocks.  Aren't those japanese x+ blocks (tutorial at Badskirt Amy) all over blogland, flickr and instagram so cute?  They've been on my to-make list since I first made a trio of them for Ara Jane's do. Good Stitches quilt.

I'm finally getting around to making my own quilt based around those ubiquitous blocks!  Jennifer and I decided to join the Friendship x and + Swap party (albeit really late).  We are using only Art Gallery fabrics in our friendship quilt, which is fitting since we first bonded over Art Gallery fabric a couple of years ago.

Here is the first block:


Doubles are made so one can be kept, the other exchanged.  Two down, six more to go for this month's blocks.  Maybe more if we decide to accelerate the block-making process so that we can finish the quilt tops in September along with the other members of the Friendship x and + Swap.

Linking up to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.  Head on over there to check out some really inspirational projects in the making! 

9 comments:

  1. Great blocks, I love the idea of a friendship x + swap party - sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh - these are so pretty! Great colors and prints - love the low volumes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! The x-plus blocks are one of my favorite blocks. I can't wait to see this swap quilt come together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been ridiculously hot here too! Hope you get some cooler weather this weekend. Today it's finally raining. Phew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those blocks! I am thinking I need to add an x-plus block quilt to my to-do list. Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blocks are cute! Did your tomatoes survive? My mom and sister-in-law both have a hard time growing tomatoes, so my black thumb and I will never even try. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blocks are lovely! I hope you have fun with this swap! Carla and I are waiting for our final set to arrive and then we will putting our tops together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely blocks, it's great that you joined this swap :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool blocks - really neat design.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear your thoughts!