Pages

01 November 2011

The quilt top

   
     The Habitat quilt top is finally done.  I think.  At 50" x 72", it's kind of a funky size- too narrow to be a throw, but too long to be a lap blanket.  I'm debating on whether to make it wider, but I'm running out of time (and fabric).

     I struggled last week to find time to piece the blocks.  Most of my sewing was done after the kids went to sleep.  I thought I was finished Friday night when all sixteen blocks were sewn together, but after pressing the top and spreading it out on the floor, it seemed smallish.  So I decided to add another row of blocks.  But where to find the time to cut and sew them? 

   
     Enter the hubby.  After the older kids' soccer games Saturday morning, he took all three kids to the park and let me have 3 hours of peace and quiet so I could sew.  He even brought home dinner so I wouldn't have to cook.  My hero!  

[Full disclosure:  In the spirit of true procrastination, not all 3 hours were spent sewing.  Some of it was spent playing around on Flickr and blog-stalking.]

     I'm mulling over whether to add a wide border on the sides and a narrow border along the top and bottom in a contrasting solid color.  Leaning towards no because I want to keep things simple.  And because I have to work on the back of the quilt- more piecing!

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, a solid border with no piecing could be a quick win for greater area, but I'm sure it'll be a great lap quilt the size it is :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way your top came out!

    I think a contrasting border would look nice, but if you leave it as is, you could call it a couch runner to explain the interesting dimensions...! :D

    Your full disclosure made me giggle -- real life, ftw! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear your thoughts!