Pages

04 August 2011

First Quilt-Along

     Having joined the Bay Area Modern Quilt Guild this summer, I'm excited to participate in my first quilt-along.  I'm not sure if there is an official name for it- I think we're calling it the A to Z Quilt-Along.  In a nutshell we sew a block (or two) a month, each month having a designated letter.  The fun begins by scouring books or the web for blocks beginning with the designated letter for the month.
     My color palette is yellow, pink and orange.  I've chosen Jennifer Paganelli's "Honey Child" line as the inspiration fabrics, and supplemented with a few others:


     [The fabrics are, from top to bottom: Honey Child Flourish Papaya (Jennifer Paganelli), Weekends Hopscotch Butter (Erin McMorris), Honey Child Blooms Papaya, Girly Girl Berry Whispers (Art Gallery), Weekends Hopscotch Pink, Trick Or Treat Orange (Riley Blake), Kona Curry, Honey Child Abstract Orange, Queen Street Maeve Fuschia (Jennifer Paganelli), Kona Pomegranate.]
     We're currently on C blocks for August.  [Edited 8/7- we're actually on "B" blocks.  I got ahead of myself.]  At the suggestion of one of the BAMQ guild members, I purchased Judy Hopkins' 501 Rotary Cut Blocks.  I love that this book has pictures of the blocks in alpha order at the front if the book.  It also gives measurements for multiple sizes.  The only drawback is that there aren't explicit instructions on how to make the blocks.  You also have to do a little extra math if you want to speed cut and piece (e.g. quick piecing multiple HST's from larger squares or strip piecing).
    Below are the blocks I've got so far:

Antique Tile Block
Bachelor's Puzzle
Castles In Spain

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear your thoughts!