Nine blocks down, five blocks and two potholders to go. I coasted too long on that sense of accomplishment after finishing up my 3x6 blocks and now find myself in a pretty pickle. I was hoping to mail everything off tomorrow, but that clearly isn't going to happen. It will be down to the wire with the potholders and other blocks.
Last week was spent piecing bee blocks in earnest. Two were improv style blocks, and these blocks took longer than they should have because of my need for structure and order. (Structure and order in my sewing and quilting life, that is. The housekeeping these days is laughable. But I digress.) I also helped a friend with a donation quilt to benefit her son's little league.
Two blocks were made for the Aqua and Red Bee. Shanna sent fabric and requested Converging Corners blocks based on this tutorial at Film in the Fridge. This block required a bit of un-sewing because I miscalculated the width of the strips for the outer logs more than a couple of times. But I love this block, and I may choose it for my next bee block.
Lynne sent fabric and
asked for non-wonky star blocks of our choosing. I didn't realize just
how many variations of star blocks exist! After much agonizing, I
finally chose the Amish Star, which I love.
A word about flying geese. I am unable to make pretty flying
geese using the variety of quick and easy methods. My flying geese come
out much more crisp and precise if I do them using a traditional method (plus I like that there's no waste).
Suzy sent us fabric for April's Design Camp block and asked for Improv Chevrons using this tutorial from Six White Horses. This is a wonderful tutorial, and the block should have been quick work since I made two for do. Good Stitches
in March. I think I spent the same amount of time making this one
block as I did making the two last month. To be fair, last month's
blocks had two chevron panels, whereas this one has three. A lot of
effort went into lining up the chevrons just so.
I love that Suzy chose three prints and sent coordinating solids for her block. I added a few solids from my own stash in complimentary colors because I was worried I'd run out of fabric (I didn't).
Next up on the docket is my Piece Bee With You block. Kelly's theme for April is "Cold and Flu." I've got an idea that I've sketched out, but it needs a little refining. I'm fearful that while I'm piecing my block, someone will post a pic in the group's photo pool with the same idea. My hope is to finish the block by tomorrow evening (!), then get to work on the Polaroid blocks for do. Good Stitches.